Re: New tzdata available - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New tzdata available
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@CommandPrompt.com> writes:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> I think we need some different mechanism how to deliver timezone updated.

> Even when the system TZ is not used, we could deliver our "zic"
> executable (pgzic?) and let the user drop the latest tzdata somewhere
> and recompile it.

Well, a person who builds from source has already got the zic program;
all we need do is document someplace (more visible than now) how to drop
the tzdata update into the source tree and reinstall the files.

For people using prebuilt packages, it's really the packager's problem.
I think most packagers are going to move to depending on a system
timezone DB if at all possible.