Re: contrib and licensing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: contrib and licensing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
>> And your point is?

> That everyone is being entirely too picky.  Hey, we link against other
> things, too.  Some aren't LGPL.  The readline example is a good one,
> incidentally: it's GPL.

Yeah, it's an excellent example: there is an alternative implementation
under a different license (libedit).

> And its stubs are in the backend, of all places.

Really?  I must have missed that.

> One could clean-room reimplement if the demand is enough.

Certainly, any of this stuff *could* be reimplemented.  But for stuff
that's being proposed for contrib, what's theoretically possible given
enough demand isn't the important real-world issue.  Contrib stuff is,
by definition, stuff that hasn't yet had all that much work put into it.
So it's appropriate to ask where it can really run *right now*.