Re: contrib and licensing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: contrib and licensing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 02 April 2003 22:39, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > <stifles ROTFL>

> > Everyone does realize that on Linux PostgreSQL binaries link against
> > glibc, which is LGPL......

> And your point is?

That everyone is being entirely too picky.  Hey, we link against other things,
too.  Some aren't LGPL.  The readline example is a good one, incidentally:
it's GPL.  And its stubs are in the backend, of all places.  At least on
Linux.

Gotta watch any 'static builds' then.

> On other Unixoid systems you can link against BSD-license libc code, or
> some-random-proprietary-license code from HP or Sun or whomever.  glibc
> doesn't have a monopoly in that sphere.  But mlw is offering code that
> will *only* run against a single implementation that is LGPL licensed.
> That makes it effectively LGPL.

One could clean-room reimplement if the demand is enough.

But, if one wants to get picky, let's talk about the license issue of
PL/Python.  The PSF looks like a rat's nest.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio