Re: Parameter name standby_mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Parameter name standby_mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Joachim Wieland wrote:
>> If no primary_conninfo variable is set explicitly in the configuration
>> file, check the environment variables. If the environment variable is
>> not set, don't try to establish a connection.

> The environment variables in question are the libpq environment
> variables like PGHOST, PGPORT. The server shouldn't need to know about
> them.

Even more to the point is that some of them, like PGPORT, are highly
likely to be set in a server's environment to point to the server
itself.  It would be extremely dangerous to automatically try to start
replication just because we find those set.  In fact, I would argue that
we should fix things so that any such variables inherited from the
server environment are intentionally *NOT* used for making SR
connections.