Re: Maintaining the list of release changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Maintaining the list of release changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Sure, just stick stuff at the top of the HISTORY file and I can deal
> with it during release packaging.  I will tell you that many one-line
> release items are made up of many commits and decisions so there is
> little likelyhood I can just cut/paste and avoid the CVS log grovel but
> it will help new folks.

Well, if you expect to have to grovel through the CVS logs anyway,
another possibility is to put the info into the CVS commit messages.
Perhaps we could agree on a convention that commits that include
release-note-worthy material should have something like
RELEASE NOTE: descriptive paragraph here

in the commit message.  Keep basically the same process, but make it
easier for Bruce to spot the important material.

I think I prefer the file-of-notes idea, but this is a possibility worth
suggesting.