Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)
Date
Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'd say that if there's a plausible chance that Sync Rep will be
>> committable by the end of *this* week (and I mean Friday not Sunday),
>> I'm willing to wait that long for it. �Otherwise, it's 9.2 material.

> I am quite sure that Simon will be able to get something committed
> ahead of whatever deadline we choose to set.  Whether that commit will
> be up to our usual standards is another question altogether.  The last
> version posted to the list was trivial to break, and that was several
> weeks ago.

Yeah, there's that.  It's difficult to believe that anything committed
in the very short term wouldn't be rushed to completion rather than
really ready.  That holds whether the deadline is this week or two
weeks out.

The other issue is that, as Robert says, we have already cut Sync Rep
more slack than any other patch in the commitfest.  It does not seem
fair to hold up the release process another week or two for it, even
assuming that we get a high-quality feature at the end of that.

If we do hold up the release, I'll probably go back and reopen the
postgresql_fdw patch as well as btree_gist.  So I won't run out of
things to do.  But I'm not terribly satisfied with the decision-making
process here.