Re: Remembering bug #6123 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Remembering bug #6123
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> On Jan12, 2012, at 17:30 , Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually, on reflection there might be a reason for checking
>> update_ctid, with a view to allowing "harmless" cases.

> I've argued against that in the past, and I still think it's a bad idea.

Well, the main argument for it in my mind is that we could avoid
breaking existing behavior in cases where it's not clearly essential
to do so.  Perhaps that's less compelling than keeping the behavior
simple, since it's true that the specific cases we could preserve the old
behavior in are pretty infrequent.  I'm not wedded to the idea, but
would like to hear a few other peoples' opinions.