Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 on SlashDot - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 on SlashDot
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Or at least put up a link to the development docs saying not-quite-final
>> docs can be found _over_here_.  The problem isn't that there are no docs
>> available, it's that there's no link in the place that non-developers
>> would expect to look.

> Now that would be an unrecoverable mistake.  Any implications at all that
> point to the development docs as being release quality will lead people to
> expect the development docs to always be at release quality which is
> simply untrue.  It will invite linking to them and the problems that are
> associated with that.  Remember?  That's one of the reasons I seperated
> the two sites.

No, no, I'm not suggesting a *permanent* link from the user docs page
over to devel docs.  I'm suggesting that during this interval when we
have a release out but no frozen docs, we should have a link from the
user docs page saying "not-quite-frozen docs for 7.2 are over there".
When you install final docs you replace that link with 'em.

If the current devel docs are not pretty damn usable at this stage,
we have big problems ;-).  The fact that they may not be quite the final
PDFs or whatever doesn't bother me.  The fact that people can't find
them in the place they'd expect to look does bother me.