bug report role properties expiration date - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From David Elbert
Subject bug report role properties expiration date
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi-

If I understand the help, I am to make a bug report by email to this list.  If not, I apologize. I also am not sure if attached screenshots will work with a mailing list, but I'm adding them with the hope they will. (If I need to do this another way, I'd appreciate a clarification.)

I am getting unexpected behavior from pgAdmin3; Here is the basic information:

1. pgAdmin3 Macintosh version 1.18.1 binary download from http://www.pgadmin.org/download/macosx.php
2. Macintosh OS X v.10.6.8 ("Snow Leopard")
3. connecting to PostgreSQL 9.3.1 on Amazon Web Services RDS

Description of problem:

1. Start with a Login Role with no "VALID UNTIL" expiration set.
2. Open "Properties" window in pgAdmin3 and look at "Definition" tab.
3. pgAdmin3 fills in current date for "Account expires" field. There is no user action asking for this. It is done automatically and is clearly not a desired behavior since it will cause login ability to expire unexpectedly if user uses "OK" button rather than "Cancel" to exit "Properties."
4. NOTE: this automatic filling of the "Account expires" field happens even if the user never selects the "Definition" tab.  That means that when a user opens the Properties box for a role just to look at things and hits "OK" even without making any changes, the expiration will be set!

Attached screenshot show open "Properties" window with offending "Account expires" field with today's date. Also shows SQL panel behind showing that there is no "VALID UNTIL" property on the selected user.

Second screenshot shows that after exiting with "OK" button the account expiration date is added to the user's role.

Resolution should be that the "Account expires" field should remain empty unless a user specifically adds a value.  (It also might be nice to have an "idiot" window check that the user really wants the filled in date if it happens to be the current date, but that is a matter of opinion.)

Thanks,
David

David Elbert
Associate Program Director for Environmental Studies,
Advanced Academic Programs &
Earth and Planetary Sciences
Olin Hall
Johns Hopkins University