Re: Accessing non catalog table in backend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Accessing non catalog table in backend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> writes:
> I fail to see the relevance of which node is getting evaluated (its a Plan
> node BTW) for this question. The concern I had was around using SPI inside
> executor and its fail safety.

The code path executor -> PL function -> SPI certainly works, so
presumably omitting the intermediate PL function could still work.
Whether it's a good idea is another question entirely.  I do not
offhand see a good reason why knowledge of non-system tables should
exist in the core executor; so what is the need to use SPI?