Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Chris Hoover wrote:
>> If you have any real life good or bad stories, I'd love to hear it.  Given
>> the NetApp arrays supposedly being very good NFS platforms, overall, is this
>> a recommended way to run PostgreSQL, or is it recommended to not run this
>> way.

> We do have an NFS section in our documentation at the bottom of this
> page:
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/creating-cluster.html

Aside from what's said there, I'd note that it's a seriously bad idea
to use a "soft mount" or any arrangement wherein it's possible for
Postgres to be running while the NFS disk is not mounted.  Joe Conway
can still show you the scars from learning that lesson, I believe.
See the archives...

            regards, tom lane