Re: [External] LIMIT not showing all results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [External] LIMIT not showing all results
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthew Pounsett <matt@conundrum.com> writes:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 18:09, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> If you're planninng to install (the same version of) FreeBSD on
>> the original server hardware, then rsync'ing back from the new
>> system should be fine.  But Debian<->FreeBSD is gonna be trouble
>> in either direction.

> But I'm specifically NOT talking about doing an rsync to get the data
> back.. the plan is to use in-protocol replication.  Maybe that's a
> distinction without a difference, but that's why I brought it up.

Won't help: all forms of physical replication that we support are just
going to try to copy the indexes bit-for-bit.  You could maybe get
away with it if you were using logical replication, but the time penalty
would be severe.

> The replication documentation, and more specifically the pg_basebackup
> documentation, makes no mention of cross-OS replication as being a problem
> for any reason.  If that is expected to be a problem, then perhaps that
> should be updated?

Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's documented somewhere, but maybe not in the
places you looked ...

            regards, tom lane