Re: Oracle Equivalent queries in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Oracle Equivalent queries in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
> Pavel Stehule, 16.02.2011 12:20:
>>> Unfortunately they are not the same: Oracle does not support
>>> INFORMATION_SCHEMA

>> sorry, I expected so all mature databases support it.

> Yes, this is really hard to understand.

> I would assume creating the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views based on the existing Oracle views is just a matter of maybe 3-4
daysof days work. So it is really not understandable that Oracle does not support this.

> But then they probably don't care - after all it's Oracle.

No, from their point of view it would be actively damaging: providing
standardized views would reduce customer lock-in, by making applications
more portable to other DBMSes.  The pain the OP is feeling is a
marketing advantage, so far as Oracle is concerned.
        regards, tom lane