Re: Bugfix and new feature for PGXS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Cédric Villemain
Subject Re: Bugfix and new feature for PGXS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le jeudi 10 octobre 2013 21:37:24 Peter Eisentraut a écrit :
> On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 22:00 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > The code has been sitting in HEAD for several months, and I
> > committed on the back branches because it was wanted.
>
> New features normally go through a full development cycle including
> extensive beta testing, especially when they contain changes to
> external interfaces.  The fact that the patch author wanted his
> feature released immediately (of course) doesn't warrant a free pass
> in this case, IMO.

What's new feature ?

PGXS break when 19e231b was commited, the patch around this special
submake is trying to bugfix that.
See http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201305281410.32535.cedric@2ndquadrant.com

There are also reports like this one (and thread):
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABRT9RCJ6RvgMXbyebCgYMwBwiOBKO_W6zvwrzn75_f+USpQ5g@mail.gmail.com

where you can read that I am not 'the' only guy who want to have this
commited. And believeing this is worth a backpatch as it stands for a
bugfix.

Here also the problem is stated as something to fix.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130516165318.GF15045@eldon.alvh.no-ip.org

That's being said, you are correct about the problem you found and it's
good to be able to release new version without a bug for OSX.
I'm just sad you didn't get time to voice a bit before Andrew spent too
much time on that.
--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/