Re: Looking for Suggestion on Learning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ray joseph
Subject Re: Looking for Suggestion on Learning
Date
List pgsql-general

Matt,

Thank you for your insightful view.  I do not have a design for any of my design opportunities.  This is one reason I was looking for a design tool.  I have many work processes that are inter related, generated by different groups that must transcribe data from each others artifacts.  I do have Visio but I have never used it for this purpose.  Since one of my objectives is to learn about db design, maybe I can find some training material using Visio. I wonder if Visio will generate SQL.  If I recall, only the enterprise version of Visio produces SQL, so I would like to find a FOS tool for this.  A tool and associated tutorial would be great.

BTW, I do use Notepad++.  I have used gnome.org/dia, but I find it much weaker than Visio.  I did not realize that PHP admin required a web server, but I have recently installed Apache for SVN.  I looked at PHP admin even though my preference is Python.  I have also looked at Maestro but have had a similar problem with tutorials.

Thank you for the link to the ‘docs’ site.  I have been there many times over the past couple of years but now I see it in a new light (I’m slow).

When you hand code SQL with Notepad++, how do you launch the code?

I really appreciate your efforts.

ray