Re: pg_restore fails for postgis data dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_restore fails for postgis data dump
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Schwarzer <stefan.schwarzer@grid.unep.ch> writes:
> I just wanted to restore a dump which I did, which includes some
> postgis data. But, it doesn't work and instead I get this error message:
> pg_restore: restoring data for table "boundaries_national"
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQputCopyData: server
> closed the connection unexpectedly
> What does it mean? The dump is from a 8.1 database, whereas the new
> one is 8.2.

The postgis mailing lists could probably offer you better advice about
exactly how to update a postgis installation, but my uninformed guess
would be that you have to load 8.2 postgis into the (empty) target
database before you restore.  This defeats the dump script's attempts
to install 8.1 postgis objects, which aren't compatible.

            regards, tom lane