Re: Add for ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add for ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION
Date
List pgsql-docs
Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br> writes:
> Em sex., 15 de nov. de 2019 às 16:10, Jeff Janes
> <jeff.janes@gmail.com> escreveu:
>> If you alter one of the built-in text search configurations, the modifications to it will not get dumped by pg_dump,
andthus won't get propagated by pg_upgrade leading to silent behavior changes in the new cluster (as well in any other
typeof restoration from pg_dump output)

This isn't really different from what happens if you alter any object
defined by initdb.   (There are limited exceptions now for GRANT/REVOKE,
but not for any other object property.)

> It was a bad design to allow changes in builtin text search objects.

I disagree.  It is reasonable to point out that if you do that,
propagating your changes to new databases is your problem.  But
the fact that you can mess with built-in objects has always been
seen as a feature not a bug, and I'm not willing to change that
approach, nor to start plastering random man pages with bright
yellow cautions against doing so.  Having the code itself issue
complaints is right out.

            regards, tom lane