Re: pgsql: Fix a couple of bugs in win32 shmem name generation: * Don't cut - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Fix a couple of bugs in win32 shmem name generation: * Don't cut
Date
List pgsql-committers
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> What happens if someone launches version 8.3.3 postgres.exe and version
>> 8.3.4 postgres.exe at the same time, on the same data directory? Will
>> the interlock that prevents two postmasters from starting at the same
>> time work?

> Hmm. Didn't think of that :(

> Yeah, it seems that that part of it would fail. In a lot of cases you'd
> still get kicked off by socket conflicts and such, but the shared memory
> part would not notice someone is already there, no.

> Not sure if it's reason enough to revert - since it fixes other cases. I
> guess in theory we could check both the old and the new name, but that's
> going to be a considerably more complex patch.

According to what you just told me, the original coding is storing the
name in a "local namespace", which presumably means it won't conflict
anyway.  Ergo, the existing coding is simply broken and there's nothing
we can do about it.

            regards, tom lane