Re: error creating/setting sequence, pg_dump / pg_restore 8.1.5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: error creating/setting sequence, pg_dump / pg_restore 8.1.5
Date
List pgsql-general
"Mason Hale" <masonhale@gmail.com> writes:
> On 4/14/07, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The methodology that pre-8.2 pg_dump uses for serial columns is
>> vulnerable to quite a number of problems if serial sequences don't have
>> the expected names, and this seems to be another one.

> I assume it would not be advisable to use the 8.2 version of pg_dump, if I
> intend to restore to an 8.1 database, correct?

Unfortunately not; the fix for this involves a server-side feature that
doesn't exist in 8.1, so the dump will flat out not work.  You could
however use the newer pg_dump to dump from 8.1 if you were intending an
upgrade, and it would successfully reproduce the older DB's state in 8.2.

            regards, tom lane