Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua Berkus
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
All,

So the proximate cause of late releases are the following:

1. patches are getting kicked down the road from one CF to another, creating a big pileup in the final CF.  This is
exactlylike the huge pile of unreviewed patches we used to have before the CF system.

2. Once the last CF is closed, everyone goes off and starts working on the next version, leaving a few people to handle
gettingthe production release integrated and debugged.  This is partly because nobody likes doing that work, and partly
becausemost hackers aren't clear how they can help.

So, I have a modest suggestion on how to change all this:

Let's do quarterly development releases and supported production releases every 18 months.

A 3-month release cycle would let people see their code go into the wild a lot faster; basically we'd do a CF then a
developmentrelease.  That would limit pileup issues around people losing interest/moving on, forgetting what was going
on,and conflicts between various features in development.  A shorter release/dev cycle is more manageable. By having
supportedproduction releases 50% less often, we could keep the overall number of versions we need to patch the same as
itis now.

The alternative to this is an aggressive recruitment and mentorship program to create more major contributors who can
dodeep review of patches.  But that doesn't seem to have happened in the last 5 years, and even if we started it now,
itwould be 2 years before it paid off.

--
Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS