Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters
Date
In response to Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters  (Cédric Villemain <cedric@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Cédric Villemain <cedric@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>> Again, what are we trying to achieve?!

>> no idea - wondering about that myself...

> It seems we are trying to add grammar for modifying postgresql.conf.
> Something we can already do easily in a standard extension, but without
> grammar changes.

> Maybe better to provide a contrib/ to modify config, then design what we can
> achieve more with an ALTER SYSTEM command.

Hmm ... putting the UI into a contrib module would neatly solve the
problem for people who don't want the functionality.  They just don't
install the module.  Another thought here is that it seems like we've
been discussing multiple scenarios that don't necessarily all have the
same best solution.  Maybe we should think in terms of multiple contrib
modules.