Re: pg_restore recognizing $-quotes - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_restore recognizing $-quotes
Date
Re: pg_restore recognizing $-quotes  (Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>)
List pgsql-patches
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
> ISTM that a very simple alternative would be to force pg_dump to
> inhibit dollar quoting for non-text dumps.
> OK. Not sure I understand why, though - the whole point of putting dollar
> quoting into pg_dump was to make text dumps nicer to read, I thought (and I
> outght to know ;-) ).

But you can get a text dump out of pg_restore.

Also, for testing purposes I think it's important that
"pg_dump -Fc | pg_restore" generate exactly the same script as pg_dump.
This is true currently (unless someone's broken it again recently)
and I don't want to give up the property.

            regards, tom lane