Re: [DOCS] with - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [DOCS] with
Date
List pgsql-docs
Alexander Law <exclusion@gmail.com> writes:
> These duplicate entries caused by the zone attribute. If you'll remove
> it, you'll get only single entry (in secondary line).
> It seems that the following DocBook bugfix introduced the bug you
> encountered:
> https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/commit/f555842b

> I see the following solutions for the issue:
> 1. To customize this xsl template (remove @zone check) for our docs.
> 2. To remove @zone specification from indexterm's.
> Are there any reasons to specify it explicitly?

According to my understanding, the use of "zone" means that the
indexterm entry refers to the whole section named by the "zone" label,
not only the physical point the entry is at.  So I think our usage
is correct in principle; for example, this would allow an index entry
to say something like "Section 4.2" not just "page 435".  In practice,
though, the distinction seems merely pedantic: AFAICS it does not
affect either HTML output (which always gives you a hyperlink to the
containing section) or PDF output (which always gives you a page number).

So we could run around and remove the zone tags, but that still seems
like rather a grotty answer --- maybe someday we'd want them back,
if the doc toolchain were ever improved to make effective use of them.

How complicated is the "customize the xsl template" solution?

(BTW, I do not see the extra-entries bug at all in PDF output.)