Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From John Wang
Subject Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date
Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
List pgsql-advocacy
On 10/27/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
John Wang wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>
>> Uhmmm... you would be wrong :). I am looking at the Alexa 100 right now
>> and I see several that run PostgreSQL. Some of them are even my customers
>> :P
>

> Can you say who they are? I hope I just overlooked them. Are they on either
> of the following pages?

I know I can tell you Sourceforge :). The others I probably can't.

So from the outside observer's point of view Sourceforge may be the only one. The sites you can't name are kind of irrelevant because if we don't know who they are, we also don't know how much of their site is driven by Pg.

Also my statement "It seems like all Alexa 100 sites that use a OSS database use MySQL" isn't wrong b/c Sourceforge isn't mentioned on those two Pg site pages and the others are closet users. Now I can say it seems like only 1 Alexa 100 site uses OSS if I can find some confirmation from them. If Sourceforge really is using Pg in a big way, it would be great if we can get the Sourceforge folks to give a presentation on their Pg deployment and scaling at some conference. I'd be for supporting that.

It would be nice if more large scale Pg users came out of the closet.

--
John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/