Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 04:37:53PM +0530, Dilip Kumar wrote:
>> - And, 0008 and 0009, I think my
>> 0001-Fixup-dump-toast-compression-method.patch[1] is doing this in a
>> much simpler way, please have a look and let me know if you think that
>> has any problems and we need to do the way you are doing here?

> I tested and saw that your patch doesn't output "SET default_toast_compression"
> in non-text dumps (pg_dump -Fc).

Yeah, _doSetFixedOutputState is the wrong place: that runs on the
pg_restore side of the fence, and would not have access to the
necessary info in a separated dump/restore run.

It might be necessary to explicitly pass the state through in a TOC item,
as we do for things like the standard_conforming_strings setting.