pg_rewind and full_page_writes on zfs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Malte Swart
Subject pg_rewind and full_page_writes on zfs
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am currently building a PostgreSQL cluster with physical replication. I want
to disable full_page_writes as the underlaying filesystem (ZFS) prevents
partial page writes.
I would like to use pg_rewind for faster reintegration of diverted nodes but
pg_rewind refuses to act if full_page_writes are disabled.

Does anyone know whether it is safe to skip this check on ZFS?

Are there other implications of disabling full_page_writes that impact
pg_rewind? The documentation does not state any reason to enable
full_page_writes. The source code [1] mentioned something about modification
during pg_read_binary_file but I do not know if it is relevant for ZFS.

Help appreciated,
Malte.

[1]: https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/bin/
pg_rewind/libpq_fetch.c;hb=HEAD#l74