Re: 7.4.1 Server Not Starting? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4.1 Server Not Starting?
Date
List pgsql-general
Gregory Wood <gwood@ewebengine.com> writes:
> Yeah, made me blink too. But you nailed it on the head... looking in
> postgresql.conf shows me that syslog = 2, which means no standard out.
> Seems that the behavior between the port for 7.3 and 7.4 has changed and
> now they log to syslog by default. Now to figure out why syslog doesn't
> appear to be logging anything...

It's quite likely that the syslog daemon is configured to drop PG
messages instead of logging them.  This would be a rather unfortunate
combination of default behaviors, however --- suggest griping to the
respective package maintainers that they need to get on the same page.

> I also found the source of the error: I had previously (7.3 again) set
> max_fsm_relations = 10000. Apparently 7.4 doesn't like that too much.
> Bumping that back to 1000 seems to do the trick.

Hmm, maybe that's pushing our shared-memory request just beyond the
kernel's SHMMAX?  If so, again it'd be an unfortunate combination of
default settings.  max_fsm_relations = 10000 shouldn't take all that
much more memory ...

            regards, tom lane