Re: Reducing the chunk header sizes on all memory context types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reducing the chunk header sizes on all memory context types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> You're probably right we'll notice the clobber cases due to corruption
> of the next chunk header. The annoying thing is having a corrupted
> header only tells you there's a corruption somewhere, but it may be hard
> to know which part of the code caused it.

Same's true of a sentinel, though.

> OTOH we have platforms where valgrind is either not supported or no one
> runs tests with (e.g. on rpi4 it'd take insane amounts of code).

According to
https://valgrind.org/info/platforms.html
valgrind supports a pretty respectable set of platforms.  It might
be too slow to be useful on ancient hardware, of course.

I've had some success in identifying clobber perpetrators by putting
a hardware watchpoint on the clobbered word, which IIRC does work on
recent ARM hardware.  It's tedious and far more manual than valgrind,
but it's possible.