Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-02-15 10:16:50 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The best thing probably is not to have the duplicate declarations on
>> platforms that don't need 'em.  Unfortunately, I seem to recall that
>> the current coding was arrived at to forestall link problems on weird
>> platforms that *had* these symbols declared and yet we needed externs
>> anyway.  We might have to do something as ugly as "#ifndef CYGWIN".

> Hm, according to a quick blame, they are there unconditionally since at
> least 2000 (c.f. a70e74b06 moving them around). So it very well might be
> that that reasoning isn't current anymore.

I don't have time right now to research it (have to go shovel snow),
but I think that at least some of the issue was that we needed the
externs when we force use of our src/port implementation.

> One ugly thing to do is to fall back to the port implementation of
> getopt on cygwin as well... That'd still have the warning parade tho.

Yeah, that doesn't sound terribly satisfactory.  Another idea would
be to wrap the externs in "#ifndef HAVE_GETOPT_H".