Re: pg_ctl/pg_rewind tests vs. slow AIX buildfarm members - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_ctl/pg_rewind tests vs. slow AIX buildfarm members
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> So the attached modified patch adjusts the PID-match logic and some
>> comments, but is otherwise what I posted before.  I believe that this
>> might actually work on Windows, but I have no way to test it.  Someone
>> please try that?  (Don't forget to test the service-start path, too.)

> If "pg_ctl start" is invoked directly from a command prompt, it works.
> Now, if I run "pg_ctl start" within a script (in an msysgit
> environment for example), pg_ctl fails, complaining that
> postmaster.pid already exists. The TAP tests get broken as well,

Hm, the TAP trace makes it look like the postmaster start does actually
work, but pg_ctl isn't correctly waiting for that to happen.  (The
complaint about "already exists" seems to be from the second start
attempt, and is exactly what to expect there.)  I could believe that
I'd fat-fingered the PID comparison logic in test_postmaster_connection,
but I don't understand how it would work from a command prompt but not
from a script.  Any ideas?