Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2@obviously.com> writes:
>     <pre wrap="">I checked the use of COLUMNS and it seems bash updates the environment
> variable when a window is resized.

[ Please get rid of the HTML formatting ... ]

Bash can update the environment all it wants, but that will not affect
what is seen by a program that's already running.  Personally I often
resize the window while psql is running, and I expect that to work.

I'm with Peter on this one: we have used ioctl, and nothing else, to
determine the vertical window dimension for many years now, to the tune
of approximately zero complaints.  It's going to take one hell of a
strong argument to persuade me that determination of the horizontal
dimension should not work exactly the same way.

            regards, tom lane