Re: Recovery Test Framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date
Re: Recovery Test Framework  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> I would certainly not like to see 8.4 slip.

> I would. PostgreSQL is not a commercial application which has to be
> released on schedule to satisfy shareholders - it's an Open Source
> project that aims to provide it's users with useful features. We have
> two extremely useful features here (hot standby and sync replication)
> which together will make this a killer release for many people

Yeah, but there are already a number of things in 8.4 that are killer
features for various applications --- window functions and WITH to take
two recently-committed examples.  Should we sit on those for however
long it will take to make replication release-worthy?

In general, we have always regretted it in the past when we chose to
slip a release waiting for a specific feature...