Re: Upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.2.3 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.2.3
Date
List pgsql-novice
Jodie <starky@shreve.net> writes:
> I am trying to upgrade from 7.1.3-4bp.2 to 7.2.3-5.80.

Uh ... 7.2.3 is ancient history.  You should *certainly* be going to
7.2.4 if you want to be in the 7.2 series, but why not 7.3.4 instead?

> I have completed
> the pg_dumpall > dump_file successfully on the old server.  However, I
> am having trouble inserting the information into the new server. I am
> using psql -f dump_file template1.  It complains about the userid.
> "user id must be positive"  The root userid is 0.  Has this changed from
> version to version?

No.  I tried "create user root with sysid 0" and got that error in all
releases back to 7.0, the oldest one I have handy.  Not sure how you
managed to get it into your previous system.  I'd recommend hand-editing
the dump file to remove the id specification.  Or you could manually
create user root (with a legal sysid) before loading the dump file,
and just ignore the error from the dump's attempt to create it.

            regards, tom lane