Re: Re[2]: TEXT vs VARCHAR - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re[2]: TEXT vs VARCHAR
Date
List pgsql-general
David Huttleston Jr <dhjr@hddesign.com> writes:
> There is another issue with TEXT vs VARCHAR.  A TEXT field is not
> handled well by ODBC and MS Access.  If there is an index on the TEXT
> field, the ODBC link will fail, saying something like "Can Not Index a
> OLE field."  OLE fields are Access's attempt at a BLOB field, and they
> are not indexable.

Hmm ... sounds like our ODBC driver is falling down on the job when it
comes to representing TEXT columns in ODBC-speak.  There's surely no
reason for a TEXT column to behave worse than VARCHAR(n).

I think this points up the comment I made earlier today on
pgsql-interfaces, that our ODBC driver is badly in need of attention
from a committed maintainer.  There's a lot of minor stuff that needs
done, and no one seems to want to do it.  There's gotta be someone
out there to pick up this ball and run with it...

            regards, tom lane