Re: Legal disclaimers on emails to this group - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Legal disclaimers on emails to this group
Date
List pgsql-performance
Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> writes:
> Sorry to be off topic, but this bugs me. Language is important. This isn't
> directed at you specifically, but I see these disclaimers all the time. How
> can you post to a public newsgroup that automatically reproduces your email
> to thousands of subscribers, and additionally publishes it on
> publicly accessible archives, in direct conflict with your company's policy
> appended to your email? And why on Earth do your company's lawyers think
> this sort of disclaimer is helpful and even legally useful? Not to mention,
> do they realize it's vaguely offensive to every customer and colleague who
> receives it?

Yeah, it's annoying, and the idea that such an addendum is legally
enforceable is just laughable (bearing in mind that IANAL --- but
without a pre-existing contract, it's laughable).  But the folks
actually emailing to our lists are generally peons with no say over
corporate policies, so there's not much they can do about it.  Might
as well chill out, or just ignore any mail with a disclaimer you
find particularly offensive.

            regards, tom lane

Disclaimer: if you believe that email disclaimers have any legal
force whatsoever, you are required to immediately send me $1M USD.