ECPG selecting into char arrays - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leif Jensen
Subject ECPG selecting into char arrays
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi guys,

   In version 8.2 of the ECPG documentation, section "31.6.3. Different types of host variables" has been added and
includesthe following (new) note:

'Note that you have to take care of the length for yourself. If you use this host variable as the target variable of a
querywhich returns a string with more than 49 characters, a buffer overflow occurs.'

    This raises a big question about how to handle fields of type 'text' !?

    I am pretty sure that in pre-8.0 versions of PostgreSQL ECPG, the arrays were handled in a way that made sure not
towrite more than the space allowed (why else have the array size and type size included as parameters in the ECPG
generatedoutput call to ECPGdo(...) ?). Is this a new "feature" ?

    With that note in mind, how do I select from a table field of type 'text' ?

 Leif