Re: 8.1 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.1 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> Is the intention that standard_conforming_strings will always be
> read-only?

For the moment it's read-only false; the long-term goal is that it will
be read-only true.  In between we will have a release or three where it
is modifiable to some extent.  I personally think it would be a *bad*
idea if it were a mere USERSET variable --- we learned from the
autocommit fiasco that changing fundamental semantics on a whim does
not work.  But there will need to be some way to alter it for testing
purposes during the interregnum.