Re: Proprietary software marketing on Wiki page -- AgensGraphPostgres fork - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Proprietary software marketing on Wiki page -- AgensGraphPostgres fork
Date
List pgsql-www
On 11/1/19 11:17 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 2019-11-02 00:11, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> On 10/31/19 8:08 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>>> I imagine that this Wiki page falls afoul of some policy or other
>>> around marketing proprietary software through a community channel:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/AgensGraph
>>>
>>> Even if it doesn't, I don't think that we want to have this kind of
>>> thing on the PostgreSQL wiki.
>>
>> There are wiki pages where we link to 3rd party / proprietary solutions
>> that provide information as well as links back to their websites e.g.
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools
>>
>> but we don't have them at the top level. I think the URL immediately
>> above is ok, as it is informational.
>>
>> That said, I agree with your assessment that we should not let the wiki
>> be used for pure advertising purposes for proprietary products. We have
>> a section of the website for that.
>>
>> I also found this one while looking through the recent changes:
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Ecosystem:dbForge_Studio_for_PostgreSQL
>>
>> which looks like it was trying to subcategorize but not sure if it did,
>> but likewise falls into the same camp.
>>
>> I would +1 for removing those pages.
>
> With the AgensGraph one, what's the problem with it?  The page itself says
> it's an OSS thing, though the further description sounds like "Open Core".
>
> We're not anti-commercial here (apart from abusive commercial things),
> or at least we haven't been thus far.

No one said "anti-commercial" -- as I said above, there are places on
the website for promoting & describing proprietary products, including
in subsections of the wiki itself.

I've found the wiki is generally good for collaboration, fleshing out
ideas, serving as a "catch all" for things that may be in flux (e.g. the
"Drivers" page), and being generally informative about PostgreSQL, the
project, and the ecosystem.

I do agree with Peter that this does not seem to be the best use of the
wiki.

Jonathan

Attachment