Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera kirjutas E, 23.09.2002 kell 10:30:
>> The former drops f1 from c, while the latter does not.  It's
>> inconsistent.

> But this is what _should_ happen.

On what grounds do you claim that?  I agree with Alvaro: it's
inconsistent to have ONLY produce different effects depending on
the order in which you issue the commands.

> It is quite unreasonable to expect that order of commands makes no
> difference.

Why?

I'll agree that it's not an overriding argument, but it is something
to shoot for if we can.  And I'm not seeing the argument on the other
side.