Re: A renewed plea for inclusion of zone.tab - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: A renewed plea for inclusion of zone.tab
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Apr 6, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> writes:
>> At the VERY LEAST, can we PLEASE have the zone.tab file
>> INSTALLED WHERE IT BELONGS rather than simply ignored, so that even
>> if
>> further requests to include the information in a system view go
>> unheard by -hackers, I can at least provide a pgfoundry module or
>> something to do the job.
>
> I still see no point in this unless we expose the information in
> pg_timezone_names, which requires rather more than a one-line patch.

Wouldn't it make it easier for Andrew or someone else to create a
pgFoundry project for 8.4 at the same time as an 8.5 patch? That way I
can get the functionality in 8.4 by installing the (yes, thus far
theoretical) pgFoundry module.

What's the harm in installing zone.tab?

Best,

David