Re: BUG #18476: Debian Install Docs have confusing code block structure - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #18476: Debian Install Docs have confusing code block structure
Date
List pgsql-www
Moved thread to pgsql-www.

On 2024-May-23, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> On https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/debian/ the commands to
> manually install the repository and the commands to install packages from
> the repository are in one big code block and the text before it suggests
> that this code block is optional if you use the script above it. However the
> script (without parameters at least) only installs the repository, not the
> packages from the repository. Maybe two code blocks were accidentally merged
> here and the text in between deleted?

I agree, it doesn't look good to have a button for "copy script" that
includes a line that installs a package after having enabled the repo.
Much less one that does so without asking for confirmation!  That line
should be separate.

I think the attached patch achieves that, but
1) it's untested
2) I'm not sure that a "Copy Script" button is really all that useful
for the "apt install" line, so maybe that part of this patch should be
scrapped.

"People get annoyed when you try to debug them."  (Larry Wall)

Attachment