Re: Combine pg_walinspect till_end_of_wal functions with others - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Combine pg_walinspect till_end_of_wal functions with others
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 08:36:17PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 2:22 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also:
> >
> > /*
> > - * Get info and data of all WAL records from start LSN till end of WAL.
> > + * NB: This function does nothing and stays here for backward compatibility.
> > + * Without it, the extension fails to install.
> >   *
> > - * This function emits an error if a future start i.e. WAL LSN the database
> > - * system doesn't know about is specified.
> > + * Try using pg_get_wal_records_info() for the same till_end_of_wal
> > + * functionaility.
> >
> > I don't like much this chunk (same for the other kept function).  Apart from
> > the obvious typo in "functionaility", I don't think that the comment is really
> > accurate.
>
> Can you be more specific what's inaccurate about the comment?

It's problematic to install the extension if we rely on upgrade scripts only.
We could also provide a pg_walinspect--1.2.sql file and it would just work, and
that may have been a good idea if there wasn't also the problem of people still
having the version 1.1 locally installed, as we don't want them to see random
failures like "could not find function ... in file ...", or keeping the ability
to install the former 1.1 version (with those functions bypassed).