Re: BUG #17767: psql: tab-completion causes warnings when standard_conforming_strings = off - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #17767: psql: tab-completion causes warnings when standard_conforming_strings = off
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2023-Feb-02, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:

> > Now, I don't foresee that actually happening any time soon (and every
> > report of somebody still using standard_conforming_strings = off
> > pushes out my idea of when it could happen).  But perhaps allowing
> > minor annoyances like this to go unfixed would start to light a
> > fire under people to get off of that setting.
>
> That seems like the right decision for to-be-obsolete features.  Or,
> we can explicitly mar that variables as OBSOLETE then rip off it a few
> years later.

Hmm, really?  We could just remove it for 16; people will still be able
to use the warnings mode in 15 for several years, so if they want to
upgrade to 16+ they will have plenty of time to update their apps.

If we decide to keep it, then ISTM we should find a way to make this tab
completion thingy work silently.  But I'd rather we didn't spend any
time on it.

"Porque Kim no hacía nada, pero, eso sí,
con extraordinario éxito" ("Kim", Kipling)