Re: BUG #17717: Regression in vacuumdb (15 is slower than 10/11 and possible memory issue) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: BUG #17717: Regression in vacuumdb (15 is slower than 10/11 and possible memory issue)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 03:13:23PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm forced to the conclusion that we have to expose some VACUUM
> options if we want this to work well.  Attached is a draft patch
> that invents SKIP_DATABASE_STATS and ONLY_DATABASE_STATS options
> (name bikeshedding welcome) and teaches vacuumdb to use them.

This is the conclusion I arrived at, too.  In fact, I was just about to
post a similar patch set.  I'm attaching it here anyway, but I'm fine with
proceeding with your version.

I think the main difference between your patch and mine is that I've
exposed vac_update_datfrozenxid() via a function instead of a VACUUM
option.  IMHO that feels a little more natural, but I can't say I feel too
strongly about it.

--
Nathan Bossart

Attachment