Re: allow granting CLUSTER, REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, and REINDEX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: allow granting CLUSTER, REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, and REINDEX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 08:35:53PM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> But why make CLUSTER more like VACUUM? Shouldn't we make
> VACUUM/CLUSTER/ANALYZE more like INSERT/SELECT/REINDEX?

Hm.  Since VACUUM may happen across multiple transactions, it is careful to
re-check the privileges for each relation.  For example, vacuum_rel()
contains this comment:

    /*
     * Check if relation needs to be skipped based on privileges.  This check
     * happens also when building the relation list to vacuum for a manual
     * operation, and needs to be done additionally here as VACUUM could
     * happen across multiple transactions where privileges could have changed
     * in-between.  Make sure to only generate logs for VACUUM in this case.
     */

I do wonder whether this is something we really need to be concerned about.
In the worst case, you might be able to VACUUM a table with a concurrent
owner change.

The logic for gathering all relations to process (i.e.,
get_all_vacuum_rels() and get_tables_to_cluster()) would also need to be
adjusted to handle partitioned tables.  Right now, we gather all the
partitions and checks privileges on each.  I think this would be easy to
change.

--
Nathan Bossart