Re: allow granting CLUSTER, REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, and REINDEX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: allow granting CLUSTER, REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, and REINDEX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 10:42:15AM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Right now, targetting the toast table directly requires the USAGE
> privilege on the toast schema, and you have to look up the name first,
> right? As it is, that's not a great UI.
>
> How about if we add a VACUUM option like TOAST_ONLY (or combine it with
> the PROCESS_TOAST option)? Then, you're always looking at the parent
> table first so there's no deadlock, do the permission checks on the
> parent, and then expand to the toast table with no check. This can be a
> follow-up patch; for now, the idea of skipping the privilege checks
> when expanding looks like an improvement.

I originally suggested an option to allow specifying whether to process the
main relation, but we ended up only adding PROCESS_TOAST [0].  FWIW I still
think that such an option would be useful for the reasons you describe.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/BA8951E9-1524-48C5-94AF-73B1F0D7857F%40amazon.com

--
Nathan Bossart