Re: Suppressing useless wakeups in walreceiver - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Suppressing useless wakeups in walreceiver
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 04:57:08PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 5:49 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another option might be to just force initial reply/feedback messages when
>> streaming starts.  The attached patch improves src/test/recovery test
>> runtime just like the previous one I posted.
>
> Yeah, looks good in my tests.  I think we just need to make it
> conditional so we don't force it if someone has
> wal_receiver_status_interval disabled.

Yeah, that makes sense.  IIUC setting "force" to false would have the same
effect for the initial round of streaming, but since writePtr/flushPtr will
be set in later rounds, no reply would be guaranteed.  That might be good
enough for the tests, but it seems a bit inconsistent.  So, your patch is
probably the way to go.

--
Nathan Bossart