Re: Allow file inclusion in pg_hba and pg_ident files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Allow file inclusion in pg_hba and pg_ident files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 10:24:23AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 12:26:25PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>
> I am still not completely sure what's the best way to do things here,
> so let's do the following: let's keep the patch the way you think is
> better for now (I may change my opinion on that but I'll hack that by
> myself anyway).  Using what you have as a base, could you split the
> test and have it in its simplest to ease irs review?  It would be able
> to stress the buildfarm with a first version of the test and see how
> it goes from there, and it is useful by itself IMO as HEAD has zero
> coverage for this area.

To be honest I'd rather not to.  It's excessively annoying to work on those
tests (I spent multiple days trying to make it as clean and readable as
possible), and splitting it to only test the current infrastructure will need
some substantial efforts.

But more importantly, the next commit that will add tests for file inclusion
will then be totally unmaintainable and unreadable, so that's IMO even worse.
I think it will probably either be the current file overwritten or a new one
written from scratch if some changes are done in the simplified test, and I'm
not volunteering to do that.