Re: possibility of partial data dumps with pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: possibility of partial data dumps with pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 02:15:16PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> út 4. 10. 2022 v 12:48 odesílatel Никита Старовойтов <nikstarall@gmail.com>
> napsal:
>
> > Hello,
> > with a view to meeting with postgres code and to get some practice with
> > it, I am making a small patch that adds the possibility of partial tables
> > dump.
> > A rule of filtering is specified with standard SQL where clause (without
> > "where" keyword)
>
> What is benefit and use case? For this case I don't see any benefit against
> simple
>
> \copy (select * from xx where ...) to file CSV
>
> or how hard is it to write trivial application that does export of what you
> want in the format that you want?

Also, such approach probably requires a lot of effort to get a valid backup
(with regards to foreign keys and such).

There's already a project dedicated to generate such partial (and consistent)
backups: https://github.com/mla/pg_sample.  Maybe that would address your
needs?