Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 04:31:17PM -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 11:05:33AM -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 02:45:52PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> Any impact for the column sizes of the catalogs holding ACL
>>> information?  Just asking while browsing the patch set.
>>
>> Since each aclitem requires 16 bytes instead of 12, I assume so.  However,
>> in my testing, I hit a "row is too big" error with the same number of
>> aclitems in a pg_class row before and after the change.  I might be missing
>> something in my patch, or maybe I am misunderstanding how arrays of
>> aclitems are stored on disk.
>
> Ah, it looks like relacl is compressed.  The column is marked "extended,"
> but pg_class doesn't appear to have a TOAST table, so presumably no
> out-of-line storage can be used.  I found a couple of threads about this

I suppose there is some risk that folks with really long aclitem arrays
might be unable to pg_upgrade to a version with uint64 AclModes, but I
suspect that risk is limited to extreme cases (i.e., multiple thousands of
aclitems).  I'm not sure whether that's worth worrying about too much.

--
Nathan Bossart